Friday, August 19, 2011

Calligraphy Monogram Design - Flourish Friday

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
 Happy Friday everyone! 
Another class I took at IAMPETH was Michael Sull's Monogram Design.  

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
Michael taught us to use tracing paper and different colored pencils when designing monograms.  For a personal monogram, he had us start with sketching the initial of the first name using one color of pencil.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
  We then used a second piece of tracing paper, layering it on top of the first. Using a different colored pencil, we sketched the middle initial all the while trying not to get too much spaghetti going on in the design.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
 We then layered a third piece of tracing paper over the first two in order to begin working on the last initial. (I only had two colored pencils with me.) :)

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
 I really like the F, but I wasn't thrilled with the spacing between the J and A.  I thought they were too close to each other.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
This is a little better....hmmm...maybe too much spacing now. Also, I think the top of my J needs to be higher.   What kind of wacko would want to spend hours playing around with 3 letters?!! umm... ME!! :)

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
At home, I practiced with pen and ink. I used a Zebra G nib and McCaffrey's black ink.  I practiced at various sizes. Let me tell you, it's much easier with a pencil - for me at least.  I really enjoyed the class.  Michael also taught us how to do family monograms. In a family monogram, the initial of the last name is in the center and is usually a bit larger than the first initials of the wife and husband. Traditionally, the wife's initial goes to the left of the last name initial and the husband's goes to the right.

Thank you all for your kind and caring comments and private emails last week. It is nice to know I wasn't the only one that was feeling overwhelmed.  I also appreciate the good advice many of you shared with me. You're a real blessing in my life.  The lettering community is a pretty special group of folks!   I hope you enjoy your weekend!!
((Big Hugs))
Jane

9 comments:

  1. Nice monogram, Jane! I like your sketches and seeing your progress. Glad you enjoyed your IAMPETH experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the progression of your work, Jane. You always do such an amazing job of sharing the process! You would make a great teacher. xoxo, Harvest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and GREAT profile pic! Love the background!!! Do tell about that...or did you already post about it? Haven't been blogging for a while. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love doing monograms! In fact, I have 3 to do in the next few weeks. I actually use the larger last name initial in the center of monograms for young girls and bride's stationery before she marries...of course, that might be a 'Southern thing'?

    I have much more fun with the pencil and my designs never turn out to look totally the same in pen.

    You have created a wonderful piece, and I too love the fact that you show the process of your work. Great job!

    Hope things have eased up a bit for you.

    xo~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monograms are fun to do, but I've never attempted anything as complex and beautiful as this - I get lost in all the 'spaghetti' and don't know where it's going! I also agree with the comment about how much easier it can be with a pencil than a pen.
    Thanks for showing how you developed this one, Jane - as always, I'm in awe of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, Jane, LOVE the monogram. Great job and what a clever way to do that using tracing paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Jane. Wasn't that monogram class fun! I find each monogram to be like a little puzzle to work on. A great mental workout.
    xo,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane - I loved following the progression and the thinking behind placement and the different elements - and in particular the tracing paper! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore all your writings, I'm addicted, i just started following you on Pin interest. A woman who writes from her soul, writes for all of us, from the heart. I'd like to invite you to join my blog @conamorebellarose.blogspot.com. May You day be filled with smiles, laughter, and All the love that the human heart can endure.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails