Friday, July 2, 2010

Calligraphy Flourish for Independence Day


I hope my Canadian friends had a great time celebrating Canada Day.
This Sunday, July 4th, Americans will celebrate our Declaration of Independence from Great Britain.
There will be fireworks, parades, and cookouts.
There will also be chocolate cake with carmel icing for my birthday, which is tomorrow.
Yum, Yum!! :-)

I thought I'd show you the step-by-step of the piece above:



Using blue, painter's tape, I masked off an area on watercolor paper. (Before I use a punch on painter's tape, I put the tape onto a piece of the waxy, paper left over from a sheet of postage stamps.)



I brushed clear water over the masked off area.



I then dropped in some red and blue gouache.



Using the small end of my stylist, I made random strokes through the wet paint.



I set is aside to dry.



I removed the masks.



Using a larger, star punch, I added two more masks and added more strokes with the stylist, a pointed brush, and gel pens.



I let it dry, removed the masks, and splattered some paint over the design. I then sprayed the piece with Krylon Clear Finish.



I added the text with a pointed pen and Dr. Martin's Bleedproof White.

Wishing my American friends a safe and happy Independence Day!!

Celebrate!!!

If you are a member of the Yahoo! Ornamental Penmanship group, then you have probably seen the video below.  It is sooooo beautiful and full of flourishy goodness!!  I'm not sure I have successfully captured and copied the video below, so you may have to copy and paste the link at the bottom.
If you like flourishes, then be sure to watch it.
Enjoy!! I know I did!



http://50.drmartens.com/artists/cinematic-orchestra

13 comments:

  1. I really like the "celebrate"! Looks very festive. Maybe you can show me sometime ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,

    I like this flourished piece for Independence Day. Thanks so much for sharing a tutorial how it is done. I just might give this a try when I have the time. Also the flourish video is beautiful. Thanks for posting it. Have a wonderful July 4th and a Very Happy Birthday to you tomorrow. Linda E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful Jane! I love that you showed all the steps too. Great work as always.
    Have a very happy birthday tomorrow!!
    xo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece, Jane!!! Yes, we have much to celebrate don't we? The video is wonderful---actually quite mind blowing! Wonder how they did that? Have a wonderful 4th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, thanks for all the info and for sharing another beautiful piece! I just found that video this a.m. and was mesmerized. Have a happy, happy birthday and a fun Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful... love it Jane! I hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow and a happy 4th of July weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great little tutorial, Jane. Thanks! And HaPpY BiRtHdAy!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane:
    Your "celebrate" piece is WONDERFUL!!! Thanks for sharing your step-by-step process with us. So cool!

    And the video was amazingly beautiful. I'll share it with all my calligraphy friends. :-)

    Happy Birthday and Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI, Jane, Happy, Happy Birthday! Love the Celebrate word and thanks for sharing the "creation" of it with all of us. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jane,

    I hope you had a wonderful time celebrating the 4th and your birthday!! Oooh...that cake sounds delish!

    Love the fun "celebrate" piece and appreciate you showing us step by step!!

    Have a beautiful week~~
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your CELEBRATE! Hope you had a great holiday! LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for showing how you did this great little piece - I love the stylus through the gouache!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! both the piece you made (thanks for showing us how) and the video are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails