Friday, August 5, 2011

Leaf Script - Calligraphy Flourish Friday



Happy Friday everyone!
I thought I'd share some more from my IAMPETH experience.  Another session to which I was really looking forward was Master Penman Rick Muffler's presentation of Leaf Script Capitals.  I love ornamental capitals.  Rick's Leaf Script was influenced by the work of both Master Penman Bill Lilly and engraver Sam Alfano.  Rick directed us to Sam Alfano's excellent online tutorial.  See it by clicking here


First, rough out your capital. I based this L on Bill Lilly's Engrosser's Script but without the thins.  I intentionally made it pudgy.
I then outlined the letter - or attempted to - with a .05 marker.  You don't have to do this step, but I want to save my original L, warts and all, in order to use it again. :)


Using my light table, I sketched the L onto my good paper.  Next, add an inner line just inside the outer line.  This creates a narrow channel of space. Then place the left and right strokes for the leaves.  Rick warned us this part can be a bit tricky, and he's correct.  Sam Alfano's tutorial does a good job explaining this step.


Add the details of the leaves.


Go over the lines with a technical pen. I used a .03 Millennium ZIG marker.  Erase the pencil lines.  Add texture and shading.  Rick gave us plenty of cross hatching and stippling ideas for adding texture. 


I added a bit of shading with a pencil. I could spend hours playing!!


Rick also taught us how to create lower case letters to pair with the capitals.


Putting it all together.
I think Leaf Script is beautiful; what do you think?

Thanks to Rick Muffler for introducing me to Leaf Script.
(Sorry, I couldn't find any website or blog links for Rick.)
Thanks to Sam Alfano for his online tutorial.  To visit Sam's websites, click here and also here.

Go forth and flourish!

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous as always Jane. I like seeing the process from start to finish too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely gorgeous Jane!!! I loved every minute of Rick's class too!
    xo,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such a great post! With all the info, it was the next thing to being in the class (minus Rick's humor). Your beautiful work inspires me to put another item on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, thanks so much for sharing this technique and instruction source. I was trying to draw filigrees just yesterday without much luck, I might add. This is definitely something I can use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your work is so beautiful!! I wish I could apprentice under you :) each and every piece you do is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Jane, great job. I love the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful! Love the "pudginess", the shading, and of course the PEARL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's something exciting about decorated capitals and this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing the 'how to' knowledge, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane, that is SO beautiful! Thank you for showing your process, too. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your leaf script ~ beginning to end.
    Thanks for showing the process.
    Have a beautiful weekend!~~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is so beautiful Jane. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely leaves, and lovely lettering...and like others, I always love to have a look at the steps between beginning and completing - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i SO agree.....leaf script is beautiful......especially YOUR leaf script!! you make it look waaaaay too easy, dear partner in letter-geekery! absolutely gorgeous!! thanks for sharing the process with us! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is simply amazing...yet another thing I'd like to have a go at...wonderful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane... I didn't take that class... and wish I had. Thank you for showing the process, step by step to your FINAL, Gorgeous piece. I want to play now... LOL ! Make yourself a great day! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane,
    I totally agree... the leaf script IS beautiful, and I can totally see how one might "lose themselves" in the process of producing those lovely letters! Can't wait to view the tutorials you linked to and give it a try myself... right after I write a paper for school, do a load of laundry, walk the dog, run the dishwasher, and get some sleep... but I swear, I won't forget about how fun those letters look to make! As always, your work is beautiful and SO inspiring! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have fallen in love with leaf script. I discovered it here. Thank you for sharing. I will be doing a demo at my calligraphy guild in July...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful form of lettering, and I'm happy you've discovered it here. Best wishes as you present it to your local guild. :)

      Delete

I appreciate comments and love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails