Friday, September 30, 2011

Calligraphy Flourish Friday - Poem for Anniversary

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
 Two years ago I did a piece similar to this as an anniversary gift for my husband. (You can see it by clicking here.)  A client recently commissioned me to do one for her husband, and as most of you know, I love working white on black!

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
In the past, I have used a soapstone pencil to line black stock, but I used this Fons & Porter Mechanical Fabric Pencil to line this piece. I purchased the pencil from Paper & Ink Arts while at the IAMPETH convention.  The last day of the convention, Paper & Ink reduced the prices on everything in the store.....

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
 ....so I also purchased this rolling ruler (Parallel Glider) that I had seen Jake Weidmann use during the IAMPETH round robin.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
It made lining the paper a breeze.  The tip of the fabric pencil fits into the holes of the rolling ruler and made marking the vertical, side margins easy as well.

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
All lined and ready to go!

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
I used Dr. Martin's Pen White and a Zebra G nib.  Once finished and dry, the pencils lines were erased with a Factis Black eraser.  The client loved the piece and so did her husband! :)

©Jane Farr Calligraphy & Design LLC
On another note-
Buffy, with Kuretake UK, conducted an interview with me for the Kuretake ZIG blog. If you're interested, I'd be delighted if you read it by clicking here.

Thank you for your visit to A Place to Flourish!
I appreciate your support.  Have a great weekend!!
xo
Jane

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jane,
    Thanks so much for the tips on the fabric pencil and the roller ruler. Anything Jake has is a must have!

    Do you have a contact email or number or email from anyone from Kuretake? I would like to request that they make a larger brush marker for demonstrations. I know it's a shot in the dark but maybe they can make one. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Jane... what is not to love about this commissioned piece?!? I am beyond impressed... the layout is lovely and your work is just gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane,
    Your black and white piece is gorgeous!! I enjoyed reading your interview, too. Happy weekend! Thank you for the comment yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no doubt they loved the anniversary gift, Jane! I bought that same FonsPorter white quilting pencil at Hobby Lobby. I didn't know Brenda carried them! I'm hoping the lines erase as easily from heavy silver pearl cardstock as they did from your black.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work Jane as always. Love using the Fons and Porter pencil as well! Great article on the Kuretake site. Thanks for sharing the link.
    xo,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments and love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails